5 FABULOUS REASONS TO USE A FITBALL DURING PREGNANCY, POSTPARTUM AND MOTHERHOOD
1. Perfect Posture
Before you purchase a fitball it is important to take the time to ensure you have the right size fitball and also that your ball is good quality. If this is correct it is going to allow ensure fantastic postural alignment during and after pregnancy and improved core stability. Because, when you sit on a fitball it encourages you to align your shoulders over your ribs, your hips and lower back to be supported plus your deep core muscles to be safely activated.
Correct Set Up of your Fitball :
- CHOOSE YOUR SIZE – a 45 cm fitball is needed you are less than 5′ tall, a 55cm ball if you are between 5′ and 5’7 and a 65cm ball if you are between 5’8 and 6′. Also keep in mind that a fully inflated 55cm exercise ball is 22 high and full inflated 65cm ball is 26cm high.
- ALIGNMENT – When you sit on the ball your feet flat should be flat on the floor, legs almost at 90 degree angle and hips slightly higher than your knees. Your pelvis, shoulders and head should be vertically stacked. Gently draw in your ribs, sit tall and check your shoulders are aligned over your hips…and don’t forget to breathe !
- INFLATION – it’s not just about the size, you do need to make sure your fitball is properly inflated. If you ball is squashed down too much when you sit on it (making your knees higher than your hips) this can strain your back and hip flexors plus and exercises you do on the ball won’t be as effective. This is especially important if you are have any lower back pain, pelvic pain or SIJ / PELVIC INSTABILITY A fully inflated fitness ball should be quite firm and require you to naturally engage your core muscles to stay comfortably upright. I recommend you inflate the fitball with a compressor pump if you can find one.
- QUALITY – ensure you purchase a good quality fitball one that is durable. A medical grade non toxic, phalate and latex free fitball is recommended for your’s and the earth’s health.
Where to purchase a quality Fit Ball, Stability, Exercise Ball :
Purchase your FITBALL from the FITBALL SHOP. These fitball’s are Australian made, medical & professional grade and sustainable.
USE CODE : BFAB for $5 off any purchase* (not valid in conjuction with any other offers). Simply contact DEB HERE at the Fitball Shop to arrange the purchase and shipping (international and National) of your quality, toxic free fitball or hit the image below.
The Fitball Shop has fitball’s that are durable, non plastic and free of BPA, phthalates and latex, which is perfect for your pregnancy, birth and motherhood journey. Plus they are university strength tested to exacting standards for durablity.
These Australian made quality fitball’s cost between $50 – $150 AUD and include sizes, 45cm, 55cm, 65cm, 75cm. Please check for your correct size and positioning as per the tips above prior to purchasing.
3. Core Stability + Safe Core Workout
If you follow the above steps to correctly set up your fitball, plus ensure your posture is correctly aligned. Then using your fitball daily for support and also during workouts it is going to give you a fabulous core natural workout without sit ups or crunches. This is a great alternative to abdominal moves that are not safe for during and after pregnancy.
Check out my unique online FITBALL WORKOUT PROGRAM HERE
Or sign up to my next FACE TO FACE PREGNANCY WORKSHOP where I show you all my fitball moves
3. Safe Fun + Dynamic Fitball Workouts
A supportive fitball is fantastic to use when exercising during and after pregnancy. As mentioned it provides additional support to your back, hips and pelvic floor. I especially love using the fitball to help women with pelvic instability / SIJ pain, to continue to be able to exercise during pregnancy.
After over a decade of working with pregnant and postpartum women I designed unique and dynamic FITBALL WORKOUT PROGRAM called CORE CARDIO, if you are missing running, aerobic or higher intensity workouts during pregnancy, postpartum. Or if you are not sure how to move due to injuries such as diastatis recti, pelvic floor issues or low back pain – these workouts are for you. LEARN MORE HERE
Here is a sneak peak below (note video is at a fast speed)
Also Check out my FACEBOOK LIVE video where I show talk about your fitball set up plus the variety of workout moves you can do with a fitball, including weights, squats and specialised core moves. If you have any questions about my with fitball workouts connect with me in my Facebook Group #BFABSQUAD – join us here.
4. Improve Mobility + Reduce Aches and Pain
Ensuring your joints stay mobile during and after pregnancy is important. A fitball is fantastic for encouraging this. Simply sitting on the ball and rotating your hips in a circular motion and doing gentle stretches not only feels great but helps improve the mobility of your lower back and hip joints. Many women end up sitting on (a correctly set up) fitball at their desks to ensure they maintain this kind of mobility at work or home as it can provide a great relief from lower back and neck pain.
Sitting on the ball and doing gentle stretches during and after pregnancy not only helps your mobility but provides additional support to your otherwise weakened core muscles so you can fully relax and release better as you stretch.
5. Birth Prep + Support during Labour and Post Birth with a Fitball
Correct posture on a fitball is also a fabulous way to to ensure you position your baby better for birth. Learn more in my comprehensive online program The Ultimate Pregnant Core how to prepare for birth with some effective moves using a Fitball plus guidance from renowned birth experts.
A fitball is fantastic to use during labour, you can use the Fitball at home during the first stage of labour and quality medical grade fitballs are also found at many hospitals and birth centres. I highly recommend this – book Birth Skills which can give you excellent strategies for pain relief and how to move on a fitball during labour. Also doing my safe and effective FITBALL WORKOUTS are going to ensure you are fit and strong for the challenges of birth.
After birth a fitball is also a wonderful way to stay supported as you settle your baby. Postpartum, I personally found using a fitball was great way to work on re-aligning my posture and allowing my deep core to start to safely activate. Plus there is nothing better than using a fitball to sit on while trying to calm an unsettled baby !
Dahlas Fletcher is one of Australia’s most respected and successful certified and experienced Pregnancy and Female Fitness Trainers. Her goal is to help you be the happiest, most fabulous version of yourself, inside and out.