This nutrient packed Pad Thai recipe is a fabulous meal for during pregnancy or postpartum. It is a staple in our house as it is easy to make, a healthy alternative to take-away and the whole family loves it ! This recipe is great to re-heat for lunch the next day, if pregnant just remember to re-heat until your meal until it is steaming – to avoid the risk of listeria.
Recipe for Healthy Pad Thai
- 500g of minced free range chicken or pork
- 1 onion diced
- 200 g wide rice noodles
- 1 carrot
- 2 celery stalks
- 1/2 red capsicum
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 2 eggs whisked
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup peanuts chopped
- 2 stalks Spring Onions
Pad Thai Sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (gluten free for me)
- 1/4 tsp fish sauce alternatively, use miso paste or more soy sauce
- Sesame oil
- 1/2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp natural peanut butter
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp ginger minced
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder optional
For serving 1 lime cut into wedges
Tip : Double the pad thai sauce recipe and freeze half for later (great to have on hand when postpartum /after your baby arrives)
Instructions – how to make nutrient packed pad thai
- Boil kettle and pour hot water over rice noodles in bowl and let sit.
- Mix all sauce ingredients together.
- In a non stick fry pan or wok, add the sesame oil then add chopped onion cook until soft then add minced meat and let cook
- Push mince to one side when nearly done, add a little more oil to pan then add whisked egg. Let cook then move to top of meat.
- Add the mixed sauce ingredients to pan and saute lightly with meat and egg
- Then add the finely sliced carrot, zucchini and capsicum, sauté until heated through.
- Next add the noodles, spinach and bean shoots to the pan, mix well. Add a little more soy sauce to taste if needed.
- Stir until well combined, serve with peanuts, spring onion on top with a wedge of lime on the side.
Looking for other ways to get more nutrients into your diet during and after pregnancy ? Grab my #freebie nutrition guide