There is no doubt about it – breastfeeding is hard work. ! I know from experience that I used to get to around 4pm and my milk supply would start dwindling just before the dreaded 5pm “witching hour” of non stop feeding began.
After breastfeeding all my 3 babies I found the following to be key to boosting my milk supply :
- Lots of healthy fat
- Lots of protein – did you know you need 15% more protein daily during and after pregnancy ? Read more here.
- Lactogenic foods (super foods that increase your supply)
- Sleep …yep I know we are all dreaming of it !
- Good quality supplements
In the haze of exhaustion with a newborn. I found one of the easiest ways to meet all of the above requirements was to regularly make myself a super delicious and nutritious milk supply boosting smoothie !
Breastfeeding Smoothie Recipe
- 1 small frozen banana or 1/2 cup of organic frozen berries.
- 1/4 cup of soaked whole oats
- 1 tbs flaxseed
- 1- 2 tabs of high protein greek yoghurt (try Chobani or Jalna) / Or use coconut yoghurt if dairy free.
- 3 – 4 Brazil nuts
- 1 tbs chia seeds
- 1 handful of kale or spinach
- 1 serve of no nasties Vanilla or Chocolate Protein Powder
- 1 cup of Almond Milk or Coconut water.
Blend in a high speed blender.
Makes 2 – 3 serves so keep extra in mason jars in the fridge for 1 day only.
My beautiful client below Sarah, is a Mum of 5 and swears by this smoothie. She has 3 boys to run around after and is also breastfeeding her adorable twins Harper and Harley.
This smoothie with the added No Nasties Protein Powder by Protein Supplies Australia has really boosted her energy and milk supply.
Use my code BFAB10 for 10% off your order.
Want more easy and effective tips for pregnancy and post birth
Connect with me in the #BFABSQUAD !
p.s want to learn how to safely and effectively NOURISH your baby during and after pregnancy. Grab my FREE NUTRITION GUIDE