Fabulous chia seeds
Chia seeds are unique as they have an ideal balance of soluble and insoluble fibre – meaning they are awesome at regulating bowel movements (which can often be a challenge during pregnancy and post birth !!!). Chia seeds are also loaded with minerals including calcium, magnesium, iron and potassium. Chia seeds also provide perfect omega 3 fats (but they don’t contain DHA – learn more why DHA is essential during pregnancy – here ).
How to use chia seeds
- Add chia Seeds to your favourite smoothies like this one and this one
- Mix chia seeds into yoghurt or apple sauce
- Make chia seed pudding – so easy, recipe below !
Chia seed pudding recipe
- Mix 1 tablespoon of chia seed with 3 oz / 85 grams of unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- Add other ingredients for extra flavour such as – maple syrup or stevia, cinnamon, vanilla extra, honey or cacao)
- Let it sit for 5 – 10 mins or overnight
- Top with your favourite toppings including – healthy granola, cacao nibs, berries, pineapple or fruits of choice !
- Double or triple the chia seed pudding recipe and store your pudding in jars in the fridge ready for an easy breakfast. Should keep for up to 3 days.
- Make sure you store any un-used chia seeds in the fridge or freezer – especially if ground. They contain unsaturated fats that can easily go rancid. If you are unsure about what foods to avoid during pregnancy because of bacteria / listeria risk – read my blog post here.
Dahlas Fletcher is one of Australia’s most respected and successful certified and experienced Pregnancy and Female Fitness Trainers. Her goal is to help you be the happiest, most fabulous version of yourself, inside and out.