Fabulous chia seeds
Chia seeds are unique as they have an ideal balance of soluble and insoluble fibre – meaning they are awesome at regulating bowel movements (which can often be a challenge during pregnancy and post birth !!!). Chia seeds are also loaded with minerals including calcium, magnesium, iron and potassium. Chia seeds also provide perfect omega 3 fats (but they don’t contain DHA – learn more why DHA is essential during pregnancy – here ).
How to use chia seeds
- Add chia Seeds to your favourite smoothies like this one and this one
- Mix chia seeds into yoghurt or apple sauce
- Make chia seed pudding – so easy, recipe below !
Chia seed pudding recipe
- Mix 1 tablespoon of chia seed with 3 oz / 85 grams of unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- Add other ingredients for extra flavour such as – maple syrup or stevia, cinnamon, vanilla extra, honey or cacao)
- Let it sit for 5 – 10 mins or overnight
- Top with your favourite toppings including – healthy granola, cacao nibs, berries, pineapple or fruits of choice !
- Double or triple the chia seed pudding recipe and store your pudding in jars in the fridge ready for an easy breakfast. Should keep for up to 3 days.
- Make sure you store any un-used chia seeds in the fridge or freezer – especially if ground. They contain unsaturated fats that can easily go rancid. If you are unsure about what foods to avoid during pregnancy because of bacteria / listeria risk – read my blog post here.